Thursday, September 25, 2014

Sewvivor Challenge #4 - THE FINALS (Lap Size Quilt)

Hello, and welcome to my FINAL project for the Sewvivor Quilting Edition!  I never expected to make it passed the auditions and so I am thrilled to have made it to the final three!  I know the other two competitors are bringing their "A" game and I tried to do the same with my lap size quilt!

 

I chose to use the American Patchwork and Quilting "Tone It Down" pattern designed by Lisa Alexander for my quilt.  Except, I definitely didn't "tone it down" with the color!  I used a variety of Bonnie and Camille fabrics from my special stash to make this colorful and bright quilt (and I threw in a navy floral by Joanna Figueroa just for fun).  This beautiful quilt finishes at 75.5" x 93.5", so it's a BIG one!  

So, was your guess right?  It's been really fun all week to hear people tell me which quilt they thought was mine and why.  I would giggle to myself inside every time someone explained why this couldn't be my quilt.  I really think this quilt personifies me and my style.  It's bright, colorful, structured, and a little crazy in places!  


I have never been one to shy away from a lot of color, and I love how all of Bonnie and Camille's fabric lines coordinate so well together.  This quilt has 20 blocks (each block has 97 pieces), 44 scrappy sashing strips, and 25 nine-patch blocks set as the posts for the sashing.  In all it contains 2209 pieces!  I honestly don't know how I got this one done with the allotted time schedule!  I seriously was sewing 10-12 hours per day!  I'm really thankful for my family and friends that helped watch my kids so I could bust it out!




In each of the 20 blocks, I quilted some free-hand petals, cross-hatched lines and cathedral windows.  I quilted figure 8's in the inside sashing strips, double cathedral windows for the nine-patch posts, and finished it up with a meandering feather for the outside sashing border.  It was my first time doing a feather design and I'm pretty proud of the result!  I used Aurifil #2024 for all the piecing and quilting.  I love how strong it is!  I have way fewer broken threads when quilting with it than other brands of thread.



 I used a blue floral print from Miss Kate for the backing and paired it with the Red Sundae Scallop from the same line for the binding.  I cut my binding strips 2.5" wide and decided to sew it 3/8" from the quilt's edge (I usually sew it 1/4" from the edge).  I hand stitched the binding to the back of the quilt and I really like how it butts right up to the edge of the quilt.  I LOVE the way it turned out!


 

Thanks to everyone for the continued support of me and the others in the Sewvivor competition!  It has been quite the journey and I'm grateful I have made it this far.  No matter the results, I feel like a winner!

1 comment: